[Tfug] Cameras (was Re: A symlinks question, I think?)

Bexley Hall bexley401 at yahoo.com
Thu Jul 2 21:14:11 MST 2009

> > Ick.  Elliot's is *so* pricey!  It bothers me each time I order
> > mail-order that there isn't someplace locally to purchase
> > components at "reasonable" prices.  I guess Tucson just isn't
> > that big of a market...  (an order going out to Digikey as soon
> > as I finish checking my mail)
>
> I really only go there when I'm in a pinch and need something now, or
> have to have hands on, which can be crucial with analog electronics.

Yes.  For the most part, I just set whatever I happen to be
repairing aside (the dining room floor makes an excellent
wall-to-wall workbench!  :> ) and add the components to the
"Next Order".  If I need to have "whatever" running *now*, then
I bite the bullet and pay Elliot's excessive prices.  :<

> > I thought about that but figured the camera investment is
> > something I would prefer to be able to salvage even if the
> > "capture" hardware changes.  Analog seems like the most
> > flexible way of doing that (e.g., I can purchase a COTS DVR
> > and connect them to it)
>
> With analog it's really easy to get into signal issues...  where I

Yes.

> have ZM deployed is a 3 story building with cameras on the
> top floor aiming at the parking lot, and the recorder is in the
> basement.  There
> were some significant problems with chroma shift because of
> the wiring. Long distance analog is a black art as far as I'm
> concerned.

In my case, I'm just instrumenting a residence.  Quality cables
work well enough over those distances.  Bigger concern is
keeping them from becoming antennae...

> None of that is an issue with IP cameras.
>
> > <shrug>  Dunno.  This is one of those "try it and see" type
> > projects that you can't really be assured of "getting right"
> > just on paper...
>
> Exactly!

Unfortunately, dropping several hundred dollars on cameras isn't
the sort of thing I want to do "casually"... :(