[Tfug] A symlinks question, I think?

Jim March 1.jim.march at gmail.com
Wed Jul 1 15:46:03 MST 2009

>>> Can anybody give me functional symlink syntax to take data
>>> now going
>>> to /var/www/events and re-point it to /media/disk/events -
>>> noting that
>>> both are directories, not files?
>>>

>> Why not just mount the "events" file system at /var/www/events
>> (assuming you're not overlaying anything *in* that "directory")
>>

>>> <snip>
>
> +1
>
> I like this suggestion better than mine.

OK.  Well I just did something similar:

Zoneminder had a bunch of stuff at /var/www including the THREE
directories I have to worry about:

/var/www/events
/var/www/images
/var/www/sounds

...plus a bunch of other crap at /var/www

So I moved everything at /var/www out to the ReiserFS partition,
deleted everything at /var/www including the directory, altered fstab
and just rebooted.  So let's see...crap.  That didn't work.  Sigh.
There's now no /var/www at all, when that ought to point to the top of
the ReiserFS drive.

My fstab line for the drive is now:

/dev/sdb1 /var/www reiserfs auto,user,exec,rw 0 2

When it worked fine as:

/dev/sdb1 /media/disk reiserfs auto,user,exec,rw 0 2

Why won't it mount at the new mount-point?

Thanks,

Jim