[Tfug] MythTV and Cox/DirecTV

Jeff Breadner jeff at breadner.ca
Sat Jan 31 21:39:07 MST 2009

Tom Rini wrote:
> Hey guys.  I'm once again thinking about a MythTV setup and wondering
> what my options are in town, wrt Cox Digital Cable (specifically the
> digital cable package stuff like BBC America, G4, etc) or DirecTV.
> After doing some research it seems like if the provider is "nice" you
> can get a digital signal directly in, but if they aren't you have to use
> an IR blaster and take the analog signal out of the cable box and bring
> that into the capture card.
>
> So, does anyone know what's possible with Cox (Comcast isn't an option
> in this part of town) or DirecTV and digital channels?  I'm kind of
> hoping to get rid of the cable-co DVR.  Thanks!

I have Cox, with digital cable, and a MythTV 0.20-fixes server with a
Hauppauge PVR-150 capture card connected directly to the cable company
(no receiver/IR blaster).  All the digital channels appear as static,
and IIRC they charge $15/month for a HD receiver (you can't buy one) so
I've not bothered going the IR blaster route.  I've not really looked
into whether it's possible to decrypt this signal though, I'd be
interested in hearing if it is possible outside of the IR blaster route.

cheers
  Jeff