[Tfug] Routers

John Gruenenfelder johng at as.arizona.edu
Sat Jan 31 21:34:10 MST 2009

On Sat, Jan 31, 2009 at 07:33:27PM -0700, Marco Savo wrote:
>   I just bought a WRT54G to play with, which open source software do you
>   recommend?
>   -Oleg
>   -DD-WRT
>   -Open-wrt
>   -tomato
>   -x-Wrt
>   -Sveasoft
>   Seem the best is DD-Wrt, do you agree?

I can only comment on OpenWRT as it is the only one I have used.  It worked
for me and I stuck with it.  I've been quite happy with it.  If you know your
way around the UNIX command line, you'll be okay.  However, it does have a
nice web interface and the number of times I must ssh into the router has
diminished almost to zero.  I still ssh in occasionally to check some
parameters quickly or if I want to verify a change, but I haven't had to
manually edit any of the config files in a long time.

I am currently running one of the last releases of OpenWRT WhiteRussian.  It's
getting rather old at this point.  The current version is called Kamikaze.  It
has updated most everything and switched to kernel 2.6.  Unfortunately, as I
read the website, the wifi module in the 2.6 kernel does not play nice (yet)
with the wifi chip in my WRT54G v3 router, otherwise I would have upgraded
long ago.

That said, I see many people (here and elsewhere) recommend DD-Wrt so it
surely must have something going for it as well.

--
--John Gruenenfelder    Systems Manager, MKS Imaging Technology, LLC.
Try Weasel Reader for PalmOS  --  http://weaselreader.org