[Tfug] Multiple distros for security?

Jesse Allen jesse.carl at gmail.com
Thu Jan 22 22:17:04 MST 2009

Based on running CentOS and Ubuntu simultaneously on servers at my old
job, the overhead involved is not worth it to run multiple distros in a
production environment. The software being out of sync can make a huge
impact on work flow. CentOS was something like 30 bug fixes behind
Ubuntu Server for MySQL when we started moving servers; the code that
worked on CentOS did not work on Ubuntu (I didn't write it, just try to
fix it). Also, if there is a vulnerability in some software package, it
may need to be fixed in all the distros, and that would take just that
much more time. I'm sure you've already thought through all this, but my
2 cents is that I think there are other ways to increase security for
far less cost. It just doesn't sound like a smart business decision.

- Jesse