[Tfug] Routers

Angus Scott-Fleming angussf at geoapps.com
Thu Jan 22 18:39:25 MST 2009

On 22 Jan 2009 at 14:12, Bexley Hall  wrote:

> > > The Linksys WRT54GL router is advertised as linux compatible.
> > > Can someone tell me if it is also suitable for a windows network?
> >
> > Absolutely!
> >
> > The 'L' designation means that the firmware is Linux-powered.
>
> Actually, I believe *all* of the WRT54G's are "Linux-powered"
> (or, at the very least, easily reflashed with a Linux kernel)

Actually the WRT54Gv5 is NOT flashable -- not enough flash storage (2mb instead
of 4mb).  After they "upgraded" the v4 to the v5, the dd-wrt people discovered
they could no longer "upgrade" the native OS to their own distro.  The 54GL was
brought out in response to demand for the older versions with more RAM as sales
dropped off significantly enough to get Linksys's attention.

See "Linksys WRT54G series" at Wikipedia for more info:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Linksys_WRT54G_series
It has more than you ever need to know and it also lists all the different
variants (WRT54G, WRT54GS, WRT54GL, and WRTSL54GS) along with flashability etc.

HTH