[Tfug] Routers

Eric Gearhart eric at nixwizard.net
Thu Jan 22 15:31:55 MST 2009

On Thu, Jan 22, 2009 at 3:12 PM, Bexley Hall <bexley401 at yahoo.com> wrote:
>> > The Linksys WRT54GL router is advertised as linux compatible.
>> > Can someone tell me if it is also suitable for a windows network?
>>
>> Absolutely!
>>
>> The 'L' designation means that the firmware is Linux-powered.
>
> Actually, I believe *all* of the WRT54G's are "Linux-powered"
> (or, at the very least, easily reflashed with a Linux kernel)

Bexley - sorry, wrong on both counts :-)

WRT54Gs that are v5 and later run VxWorks as their RTOS (see
http://www.linuxdevices.com/news/NS4729641740.html ) - and they
include a very small amount of flash as compared to their
predecessors. The WRT-54GLs have more flash and more RAM, because of
an outcry from the WRT hacker community after the "weak" v5s were
released

It is possible to flash a v5, v6 and v7.2 WRT54G to "DD-WRT micro,"
but it's a more involved procedure. You have to flash to an
intermediary DD-WRT and then upgrade that to DD-WRT micro. Note that
of course the micro version has less features and less capabilities,
but on the WRTs that I've flashed I have noticed the stability
problems I was having basically disappeared after flashing them from
VxWorks to Linux

http://www.dd-wrt.com/wiki/index.php/Linksys_WRT54G/GL/GS/GX has more details

--
Eric