[Tfug] Progress indicators

Tim Ottinger tottinge at gmail.com
Wed Jan 14 07:39:26 MST 2009

Bowie J. Poag wrote:
> Most users are satisfied just knowing that tangible work is being
> done, beyond just a spinning busy pointer or hourglass. For example,
> if they're downloading a file, show them how many KB/sec it's coming
> in at, rounded to 2 or 3 decimal places and updated 10-20 times per
> second, so they can see it flit around randomly.... Staring at a
> static, averaged speed reading that never changes is no fun for anyone.
> Better to overinform the user into a state of amusement than
> underinform them into a state of suspicion.
Actually, that has side-benefits.  If they know what's going on they
might be able to tune the machine, or at least figure out what not to
run at the same time.

I've bounced around on this until I suddenly realized that I don't have
any single opinion about progress indicators that I can defend.  "...
and he received enlightment."  This really is a difficult, soft problem.

--

http://agileotter.blogspot.com/