[Tfug] Progress indicators

Jeffry Johnston tfug at kidsquid.com
Tue Jan 13 13:04:02 MST 2009

Here are my thoughts:

When the prediction is constantly being updated, I feel like I cannot
trust the number of minutes left.  For example, it initially says 12
minutes remaining.  I come back in 12 minutes and it says 9 minutes
remaining.  This can be somewhat lessened by waiting a little bit
before declaring the time remaining.  I think Firefox does this.

Another thing which is annoying is that even though estimates and
re-estimates are continually wrong, the program continues to use the
same estimation technique, so you know it'll be wrong in the future
too.  So then you end up estimating how long it'll REALLY take.  Seems
like it should periodically do a curve fit to the data, and update the
algorithm .. linear, geometric, logarithmic, exponential, etc that
best matches the past performance.

Jeff