[Tfug] Locking from user-land

Bexley Hall bexley401 at yahoo.com
Mon Jan 12 12:44:33 MST 2009

Hi, Tom,

--- On Sun, 1/11/09, Tom Rini <trini at kernel.crashing.org> wrote:

> > Is there any way I can *effectively* wire down (even for
> > a short -- but *guaranteed* -- period of time) a small
> > amount of physical memory from user-land?
>
> Sure, and I think this all even works on x86.  mem=(real
> minus what you want), the top "what you want" is yours to do
> with as you please.

But, that just "hides" it from the kernel (and, requires me to
build a new kernel -- if so, I could just move what I wanted
to do *into* the kernel and wire it down, there... :<  )

> That's the kernel command line mem=.  Otherwise, I believe no.
> And keep in mind that atomic operations, outside of kernel space,
> might not be possible depending on the architecture.

Yes.  I was hoping for a kludge/hack that would "usually work"
(e.g., quiescent systems, etc.) without requiring people to
have to do any kernel hacking.

<frown>  I'l have to see if there is another way to approach
the beast...

Thx!
--don