[Tfug] Locking from user-land

Tom Rini trini at kernel.crashing.org
Sun Jan 11 19:32:03 MST 2009

On Sun, Jan 11, 2009 at 01:53:17PM -0800, Bexley Hall wrote:

> Hi,
>
> Is there any way I can *effectively* wire down (even for
> a short -- but *guaranteed* -- period of time) a small
> amount of physical memory from user-land?

Sure, and I think this all even works on x86.  mem=(real minus what you
want), the top "what you want" is yours to do with as you please.
That's the kernel command line mem=.  Otherwise, I believe no.  And keep
in mind that atomic operations, outside of kernel space, might not be
possible depending on the architecture.

--
Tom Rini