[Tfug] Cheap NAS with NFS!

Jeff Breadner jeff at breadner.ca
Wed Jan 7 20:53:48 MST 2009

On Wed, Jan 7, 2009 at 4:36 PM, Marco Savo <savomarco at gmail.com> wrote:
> Maybe check this: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/NSLU2
> It's old but fully supported, and you can put there whathever you want. You
> can buy new for less than 60 dollars

Yeah, the "slug" is what got me thinking about using a device like
this instead of running a beige box full of drives, but I've seen
reviews that say performance is not as good as it could be, especially
given it's 10/100 MBps network connection.  I can get about 20-25 MB/s
from my current box via gigabit, so if I'm going to spend money to
replace this then I'd rather not take a performance hit too.

But, for someone looking to start from scratch, you could definitely
do worse than flashing an NSLU2 with Linux, especially considering the
price (NSLU2 for $60 vs. around $500 for some of the other options
mentioned, plus drives for both).

cheers
  Jeff