[Tfug] iTunes going to DRM-Free - does that mean a Linux player/manager will be easier to build?

Claude Rubinson rubinson at u.arizona.edu
Tue Jan 6 16:12:42 MST 2009

On Tue, Jan 06, 2009 at 02:43:52PM -0700, Jim March wrote:
> c title.  I've run into a few people now who are deeply into the whole
> iTunes thing already and it hurts their ability to transition to Linux
> as iTunes/win doesn't run well under Wine and is even glitchy under a
> VM in some respects (burning audio CDs).

DRM isn't the reason that iTunes doesn't run under *nix.  iTunes
doesn't run under *nix because it's proprietary software and Apple
hasn't ported it.

Does DRM-free music from Apple permit people to transition to free
audio players?  Of course.  But I doubt that Apple's going to open up
the iTunes store to non-iTunes clients.  Which means that iTunes users
are going to remain wedded to iTunes.

Claude