[Tfug] ffmpeg:iPod Shuffle

euvitudo euvitudo at gmail.com
Tue Jan 6 12:41:18 MST 2009

On Tue, Jan 6, 2009 at 12:36 PM, Charles R. Kiss
<charles at kissbrothers.com> wrote:
> Does anyone know how to convert a .wav to an .m4a and dump it into a iPod
> Shuffle and listen to it?  Apparently, conversion can be done with ffmpeg,
> but I dont' know the command and couldn't find it.
>
> I mount my new iPod Shuffle, and can see all the files.
>
> On the old iPod Shuffle, I used to be able to cp files directly into it, and
> they'd play.  Now, with the new one, I guess I can't, for whatever the
> reason: format, binaries, etc. don't know.
> Is it hopeless trying to get my iPod to play without iTunes, do I reformat
> it, somehow?
>
> I did take a short look at the iPodLinux stuff.

I've successfully used gtkpod with our shuffles.  I'm sure there are other
apps, but that's where I stopped searching.

As you've found, simple copying doesn't work.  A catalog has to be
generated and must exist on the fs.  That's where gtkpod came in
handy.

Cheers,

Phil