[Tfug] UPS sizing

Jeremy D Rogers jdrogers at optics.arizona.edu
Sun Jan 4 11:01:36 MST 2009

[snip]
> I've been looking at smaller units -- 500-600VA.  With hold
> times just long enough for a quick shutdown.  I had some

Just curious if others out there use hibernate. I have my lab
workstations on Smallish APC's and I keep meaning to set up the
acpupsd to call hibernate. I'm sure this would work for most systems,
but I have to time the shrinking and writing of the ram image on the
workstations. I think my 8GB ram systems will work within the 15
minutes or so of battery time, but the systems with more 32GB might
push it, especially since all the disk writes start chugging power.

I like the idea anyway, because you loose no work and can sorta just
pick up where you left off, even if that was 3 days into a long
simulation.

JDR