[Tfug] External PATA enclosures

Jeff Breadner jeff at breadner.ca
Fri Jan 2 21:05:15 MST 2009

On Fri, Jan 2, 2009 at 1:46 PM, Eric Gearhart <eric at nixwizard.net> wrote:

> I'm curious - is there any specific reason you're emotionally attached
> to NFS over Samba/CIFS? For me personally it's gotten to the point
> where I stup samba and a CIFS server even when I'm just trying to
> connect from a Linux client!

Honestly, I gave up on this back when it was still SMB, and never
really gave the 'new' CIFS a chance.  But, I live in a UNIX
environment at work, have Ubuntu on my work and home machines, and
just want to use a network file system that is aware of and respects
UNIX file ownership and permissions.  Having to use a userspace
program like smbclient is about as useful to me as FTP (so, not at
all), or mounting a SMB network share and needing to hard-code a
single user for all files on that volume is pretty annoying.  I also
value being able to use automount to run a command like "kmplayer
/net/mig/export/mldonkey/incoming/files/newmovie.avi" from my laptop.

So, I'm sort of in the market for a device because I want to get rid
of my 2TB file server box, and replace it with something quieter, less
power hungry and smaller without giving up any functionality.  Like I
said, I've not come across anything that fits the bill yet ;-)  For
now, I'm just sticking with the status quo.

cheers
  Jeff