[Tfug] External PATA enclosures

Eric Gearhart eric at nixwizard.net
Fri Jan 2 13:46:18 MST 2009

On Fri, Jan 2, 2009 at 9:16 AM, Jeff Breadner <jeff at breadner.ca> wrote:

> I've been looking for something like this too, but I'd really like to
> use NFS with it.  I've not found a device out there that supports NFS
> for less than a few thousand dollars, does anyone have some experience
> with a product that will fill this need?

I'm curious - is there any specific reason you're emotionally attached
to NFS over Samba/CIFS? For me personally it's gotten to the point
where I stup samba and a CIFS server even when I'm just trying to
connect from a Linux client!

I've also noticed in the past NFS had issues with locking when the
network disappears, as with WiFi connections. I've had Samba CIFS
mounts just quietly "figure things out" and reconnect after the
network comes back... with NFS I always would try unloading kernel
modules and restarting services, but usually I'd end up rebooting
because the mount point would just hang.

* note that I'm talking specifically about "real CIFS," not that
bastard devil stepchild Microsoft and IBM created named SMB

--
Eric
http://nixwizard.net