[Tfug] UPS sizing

Bexley Hall bexley401 at yahoo.com
Thu Jan 1 14:45:15 MST 2009

--- On Thu, 1/1/09, johngalt1 <johngalt1 at uswest.net> wrote:

> [...]

Pb == hazardous waste.

As a side note, you can recycle batteries locally.
Costco used to accept (any!) batteries.  I once
got $50 credit ($5 per battery) for recycling 10
UPS batteries (In hindsight, I suspect this was an error
on the part of the customer service person... I think
the $5 credit only applies (now) to "car batteries"...
and, perhaps, only with a receipt for a newly purchased
replacement!  :-/ )

> I uninstall the fuse first and replace it last. That way,
> there won't be any potential across the terminals when you
> install the wires and connector. Stick the batteries
> together and protective caps on with double sided tape.

3M makes some nice "double-sided 'foam' (for want of
a better word?)" that you can use to hold things together
quite securely!  Should be able to buy it at any hardware store
(the generic version, like most things related to 3m, is
considerably cheaper!)

> These batteries can generate large peak currents. On that
> pack, even the fuse is pretty big - on the order of 100
> amperes. So if you make a mistake and do something stupid,
> it would suck to perform an unintentional welding
> experiment with your ring, watch band, screwdriver, or pliers.

<grin>  Wanna see my T-shirt??  ;-)

Actually, I think *car* batteries are fused internally at
something like 2,000A.  I suspectany sort of short that
would melt that link would probably destroy the battery
explosively at the same time!  :<