[Tfug] USB-powered fans?

Bexley Hall bexley401 at yahoo.com
Tue Feb 24 12:48:23 MST 2009

Hi, Tom,

--- On Tue, 2/24/09, Tom Rini <trini at kernel.crashing.org> wrote:

> > Presumably, you wwant to avoid "right off the PS" so that
> > you *won't* have to modify the PC *or* dangle pigtails out
> > of the case.
>
> That's one reason.  There's already enough loose
> cables hanging around down there.

<grin>  You should look under my work tables!  :-(

> > Can't you just tie 5V DC fan to the power pins on the USB
> > connector? Or, do you want some sort of "intelligent"
> > thermal management? (note that you can buy variable
> > speed fans that have a thermistor in the airflow and
> > adjust their own speed.
>
> Mainly it's that anything smaller than house wiring
> isn't something I'm good at :)

Ah!  :>  I'd have suggested cutting the cable off a
keyboard/mouse/lefthandedsmokeshifter/etc, probing
to find which pair yield +5 & GND and then tying those
to the red/black wires on a suitable fan.  I.e.,
just strip them and twist together.

> Right now I'm looking at
> http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16834981011
> and
> thinking I could probably tack that up without too much
> trouble.

I didn't see how the power was terminated (though I assume
USB connector).  You'll just reorient that vertically
at the rear of the cabinet to move air through?