[Tfug] USB-powered fans?

Bexley Hall bexley401 at yahoo.com
Tue Feb 24 10:04:25 MST 2009

Hi, Tom,

> Hey all.  I've got a new desk with a cabinet in it.
> I'm putting my
> desktop ("old" AMD64 3000+ single core), cable
> modem and AP in there.
> And I can already feel that it's hotter than I would
> like.  Has anyone
> seen some USB powered (I want to avoid trying to draw right
> off the PS
> if at all possible) square exhaust fans?  Otherwise I might
> try and rig
> something up with the USB powered personal fans I've
> got somewhere.

Presumably, you wwant to avoid "right off the PS" so that
you *won't* have to modify the PC *or* dangle pigtails out
of the case.

Can't you just tie 5V DC fan to the power pins on the USB
connector? Or, do you want some sort of "intelligent"
thermal management? (note that you can buy variable
speed fans that have a thermistor in the airflow and
adjust their own speed.