[Tfug] USB / VirtualBox

Paul Lemmons paul at lemmons.name
Tue Feb 24 09:51:42 MST 2009

-------- Original Message  --------
Subject: [Tfug] USB / VirtualBox
From: "Charles R. Kiss" <charles at kissbrothers.com>
To: "tfug at tfug.org" <tfug at tfug.org>
Date: 02/24/2009 12:56 AM

> I got an old Windows XP running on VirtualBox-2.0 from a Debian 4.0
> kernel AMD64, and I'm having trouble getting the USB to work;
>
> I added the usbfs mount to /etc/fstab (including in the domount line
> in /etc/init.d/mountkernel.fs) with the supposed options -giving the
> vboxusers group rw permissions, adding users to vboxusers group, and I
> checked the appropriate boxes in the VirtualBox GUI.  Does anyone have
> this working?
>
> I really don't know why I'm bothering with Windows, but I don't have a
> nice Canon scanner I want to use.
>
> Thanks,
> Charles
>
> BTW, Opera isn't really working that great.  It goes to cnn.com and
> can't end the session despite the SESSIONS=end patch (1131 bug, or
> whatever it was).   I still have to add hex numbers to schroot -e
> chroot=superlonghexnumber.  Oh well.  Thanks for your help.  Anyone
> using the new Debian5.0??
I gave up on USB and VirtualBox but I do hear it has improved with the
2.1.xx version. You might try that first.

As for using a scanner, sane works quite well and may keep you from
having to jump through the windows hoops.

--
Sometimes I wonder.  Were our faith able to stand upright and look around, would it be looking down at the mustard seed or standing in awe of the height and breadth of it.