[Tfug] top/bottom and middle posting

Bexley Hall bexley401 at yahoo.com
Fri Feb 20 02:04:15 MST 2009

Hi, John,

--- On Thu, 2/19/09, John Gruenenfelder <johng at as.arizona.edu> wrote:

> On Thu, Feb 19, 2009 at 09:05:36AM -0800, Bexley Hall wrote:
> >
> ><grin>  Preaching to the choir!  '85 Monte Carlo w/ 66K original
> >on it.  I figure I should be able to get *another* 20 years out
> >of it since they don't use salt in Tucson!  :>  Apparently, MC's
> >are sought after here in Tucson (?) -- as I am routinely
> >approached by "strangers" offering to buy the car... *before*
> >they even see the odometer!
>
> Oh, I like this game.  :)

<grin>

> My 2002 Kymco scooter has saved me an absolute fortune.
> The $3K sticker price, plus fuel & maintenance, plus insurance,
> gets me a seven year average of about $60/month.

I was looking into a scooter but it seems so "exposed"
(given the "quality" of Tucson drivers).  How do you
handle long trips (e.g., feenigs)?

> Being a poor student, I honestly can't see how I could
> afford a car...

Driving as little as I do (~2K/year) it always feels
wasteful when I look at insurance costs, etc.  I figure
with such low annual mileage, I'm probably spending
close to $1/mile!  :<

OTOH, when I need to lug something across town, it's
a lot more convenient than having to rent a car/truck...

> But, slightly more on topic (just barely...), Robert Hunter
> said:
>
> >PS. I'd like to hear about the stone-age postage sometime! ;-)
>
> I've got a "pen pal" in Sweden.  Sort of.  In the stone age,
> that's what he would have been, but we "met" because he used my
> Weasel Reader software and contacted me via instant messange.
> Now we chat a few times a week on all sorts of topics,
> though most frequently it's Linux and OSS.
>
> What would you call somebody like this?

<shrug>  Swedish? ;-)

>  A Net pen pal gets the idea across,
> but it's not very accurate.  I know this is by no means
> a new phenomenon, so I
> suspect somebody must have coined a term for this, right?

Actually, I never considered physical location or *how*
someone was initially contacted as being worthy of a
special designation (?).