[Tfug] Yet another OSX "fail" - this one is NOT my fault...

Jim March 1.jim.march at gmail.com
Tue Feb 17 18:21:35 MST 2009

> "Grandma" doesn't even have a concept of effective use of screen real
> estate, let alone a need to be concerned with it.

Have you SEEN the horrid "zoom mode"?  She damned well does have to be
concerned about screen-scrolling.

Look, if she can't see everything on the screen, it's a damn sure bet
she will assume it's not there.  So really basic stuff like "how do I
close a window?" fails, bigtime.

This is the most disgusting thing I've ever heard of.

Look, she had an old desktop computer that she just wanted to do web
and word processing on.  So I set up Ubuntu and bumped all the fonts
up.  She took to it immediately.

By contrast, the zoom-and-scroll thing in OSx is grossly
non-intuitive.  It's the single worst user interface mistake I've seen
Apple make since the very early Mac days, when you could manually
eject a floppy, carry it across the room, crumple it up and you had
just guaranteed you crashed the OS to hard-boot, because without that
floppy it was totally dead when it asked for it again.

Jim