[Tfug] Yet another OSX "fail" - this one is NOT my fault...

Jim March 1.jim.march at gmail.com
Tue Feb 17 15:27:11 MST 2009

>> ...You realize you can change the screen resolution, right?

>Now, you know that's not a real solution.  It's just a
> stopgap measure.  It would "fix" the immediate
> problem at the cost of losing more screen space
> than simply adjusting the font sizes would, plus
> panels never look as nice when you don't run them
> at native resolution.

Right.  Run an LCD at non-native res and it looks like CRAP every
time.  Absolutely not.

> Ctrl + scroll wheel does the same thing in a pinch.
>
> - Zack

And that "solution" bites too.  Yes, we tried that, but you basically
have to go in and out of zoom mode multiple times to get anything
done.  It blows chunks.

The new user I want to set up wants a *laptop* and absolutely has to
have the screen set up for her eyes.

As to Windows: there IS a solution - you adjust the DPI to something
custom under advanced display properties.  At a minimum the "large"
size works better at least.

Linux totally kicks butt in this realm of course.  Gnome's
Preference>Appearance>Fonts menu just rules and I know KDE has
something equivelent.

Jim