[Tfug] Yet another OSX "fail" - this one is NOT my fault...

Jim March 1.jim.march at gmail.com
Mon Feb 16 21:43:44 MST 2009

To those who think OSX is going to kick Linux's butt...

The same friend I was helping in the previous discussion is an older
gent whose eyesight isn't what it used to be.  His new Mac is the
"silver iMac" with integrated 22" screen (guesstimate as to size),
1680x1050 resolution.  The default fonts for basic OS stuff were too
small - I'm talking basic stuff like the menus.

So I look for the font size settings.  I mean, even Windows gives you
control over that stuff, right?

Nope.  I couldn't believe it, but multiple rounds of googling confirms
it: OSX 10.5 "Leopard" series doesn't include font size controls.

Whaaa?

I found at least one piece of freeware that claims to give such controls:

http://www.bresink.de/osx/TinkerTool.html

...but it didn't work.  I could adjust what looked like font controls
and sizes, looked a lot like the controls available in Gnome, but once
I quit Tinkertool there was no effect.  Rebooting it didn't help.

I have another user out there who wants to upgrade, has buttloads of
money to spend (cost literally NO object), but she's over 70, poor
eyesight.  She also wants to use something like DragonDictate and
speech-to-text input is, per my initial search, totally sucky in Linux
so far, but there is no WAY I can recommend a Mac if we can't adjust
font sizes.

As the population ages this is going to be a huge thing.  How in God's
name could Apple ship boxes without font size controls!?

What the hell?

Jim