[Tfug] experience

Jeff Breadner jeff at breadner.ca
Sat Feb 7 21:28:23 MST 2009

  > C. Burch wrote:
>>
>> Greetings all,
>>
>> I’ve lurked on the list for a while now without posting so let me
>> introduce myself a little before I get to my questions. My name is
>> Christopher Burch and I currently work as an avionics technician on
>> Davis-Monthan while also providing computer support for users in my
>> unit. I am going to school for a degree in network security and I
>> would like to acquire some operational experience in the IT world.
>> The list seems like a good place to ask this question since it
>> appears most of you work in or around an IT environment and would be
>> in the know.
>>
>> Now to my questions, aside from having multiple versions of *nix
>> installed around the house, what or where would you recommend I look
>> to acquire some formal experience? My current experience, in addition
>> to work, includes administering a web server for a school project
>> running CentOS 5, a personal web server running Slackware 11, dual
>> booting Windows 7 and Kubuntu 8.10 on my laptop, and dual booting
>> Vista x64 and Slackware 12.2 on my desktop. Is this enough to count
>> as experience when applying for an IT position or should I look for
>> more formal venues like volunteer/internship positions down town? If
>> so, where is the best place to find out about said positions?
>>
>> Thank you in advance to everyone that takes the time to chime in on this.
>>
>> Cheers,
>>
>> Chris
>>
> Paul Lemmons wrote:
> Chris I will take a stab at this. I am a person that is regularly on
> interview teams and make recommendations to hire IT professionals or
> not. I have been at the same company for over 21 years so my
> observations are going to be somewhat myopic. Even so, I believe that
> the industry is what it is and there is not a lot of variety.
>
> First, I always approach every resume with the "I want to hire this
> person" attitude. I hate looking for people to fill positions. I do
> not know of anybody that does enjoy it. It is very hard to find
> qualified people. So, I give a lot of "benefit of doubt" and look at
> resumes fairly closely looking for jewels in the sand. Most resumes
> are just simply awful. Your two paragraphs above tell me more that
> most "professional" resumes.
>
> So, I am going to look at the two paragraphs above as your resume.
> What I see is that you are a hobbyist with no professional experience.
> This is not as bad as it seems. If given a choice between a person
> that is a hobbyist and a person with a certification, I will often
> choose the hobbyist. They are proving, without knowing it, that they
> enjoy the work and are actively learning, using their own time and
> initiative. The no professional experience, though, would be a problem.
>
> I would also glean from your first paragraph that you are interested
> in Network Security. I would try to combine the skills I see with the
> [...]

Hi there

I work for a significantly smaller department, and I have recently sat
in on most of the interviews. I agree wholeheartedly that most of the
resumes that come in are absolute crap, and I also agree wholeheartedly
that I would recommend hiring a underqualified hobbyist over someone who
decided a few years ago that they'd like to get in on this computer
thing and took some college course. The first question we ask in an
interview is "Tell me about your first computer", and if their eyes
light up and they tell you all the hardware specs and all the software
installed, then we're looking at the right person. If they hum and haw
and say something like "I think it was a 486 something?" then they're
not off to a good start.

Our shop is about 50/50 Linux/Windows, so seeing any Linux experience at
all is a huge plus for us. You obviously have this covered. I suspect
most businesses would use an Enterprise variant of Linux (RHEL or SuSE),
but obviously there will be exceptions, and I could easily be wrong here.

We use MySQL on Linux (no flamewars please, you Postgres folks) and MS
SQL Server 2000/2005 on the Windows side. Any SQL experience is also
looked upon favorably, it doesn't matter what variant (Informix, Oracle,
Sybase, etc.). We also use a proprietary language in some of our
applications, so we like to see some programming experience, and it
doesn't matter what language it is, as there's no chance you'll actually
have knowledge of the language that you'll be using.

Given these last two criteria, I'd suggest starting to play with some
LAMP stack applications, getting used to seeing & working with SQL code
and PHP or Ruby script. I'd also suggest that if you're having trouble
finding volunteer work or other formal experience, that you start
participating in an open source project, as this will be a source of
experience that is completely transparent to anyone who wishes to search
the developer forums and source code base online to see how you work
with others, and to see the quality of your work.

Really though, if you interview well and be sure to mention all this
informal experience, you'd more than qualify for an entry level position
with us. As mentioned, a lot of our technologies are proprietary, so
we're just interested in finding someone who is familiar with the
underlying concepts, and willing to play with the technologies and learn
on their own. Be sure to get this attitude and capability across in your
resume and cover letter, and you'll do well. We also hire a lot of
ex-military people, be sure to emphasize this as well.

cheers
Jeff