[Tfug] SUN monitors at World Care

Bowie J. Poag bpoag at comcast.net
Sat Feb 7 00:16:38 MST 2009

The cables that allow these to be used on standard (read: old, now..) PC
video cards are incredibly rare. Not only is 13W3 long dead, there are
multiple 13W3 pinouts that vary from manufacturer to manufacturer.
Simply having a 13W3 to HD15 cable is no guarantee you'll get a picture.
I should know, I have probably owned every spare Sun 13W3-to-HD15 cable
in the state of Arizona at some point. I travelled, literally, a
hundreds of miles, to every possible business you can think of, from
office supply outfits to copper recycling plants to find them.

The Sun monitors are probably GDM-20E20's, which are rebadged Sony
Trinitron tubes. Really nice displays, probably the highpoint of
multisync analog phosphor. Sun says in their specs that they can do a
max of 1024x768, which is total marketing bullshit.. Not only can they
do 1024x768, they can do 1152x864, 1280x1024, and even can do 1792x1344
when pushed. A higher resolution than the 22" widescreen Viewsonic I
currently use.

Cheers,
Bowie