[Tfug] Cron job in Ubuntu - something is wrong :( - halp?

Jim March 1.jim.march at gmail.com
Thu Feb 5 17:01:09 MST 2009

OK, so I have a friend's system set up purely as a video camera
monitor running Zonealarm with six cameras.  Works great - it's
running Ubuntu Hardy.

Since Zonealarm takes a bazillion little still images and the number
of picture files can get crazy, images are saved on a dedicated 500gig
drive formatted with ReiserFS.

Great.  But I can't have the disk fill up, so I have a cron job set to
do a purge of files older than 90 days.  It's not working.

Sigh.

Here's the contents of the root crontab entries...the username on this
system is "camera":

---
PATH=/usr/sbin:/usr/bin:/sbin:/bin
01 04 * * * find /media/disk/* -mtime +90 -exec rm {} \;
01 04 * * * echo "Purge of camera files older than 90 days
successful:" $(date)" >> /home/camera/Desktop/purge.log
---

The command:

sudo  find /media/disk/* -mtime +90 -exec rm {} \;

...works just fine.  No purge.log file is being created.  I put this
in the root crontab via:

sudo crontab -e

So...what the heck?

[wimper]