[Tfug] KDE 4.2

Tyler Nienhouse flakeparadigm at gmail.com
Wed Feb 4 21:37:10 MST 2009

Paul Lemmons wrote:
> Tyler Nienhouse wrote:
>> Anyone tried KDE 4.2 yet? It seems to be really well designed (so far
>> from what I've tried). What do you guys think about it?
>>
> I use 4.2 exclusively at home and at work. It is still not as stable
> as 3.5.10 but it gets better almost daily. I would say that it has
> gone from a toddler to teen. It still has a bit of maturing to do.
>
> That said, everything I want it to do works. I did replace the
> K-Button application launcher with lancelot and am much happier with
> that. The desktop-effects are col without being distracting. They are
> even pretty quick. So if you are into translucency, wobbly windows and
> exploding windows you will not be disappointed.
>
> There is a quicklaunch plasmoid/widget for the task bar that works but
> takes some effort to setup. Once setup, though, it works very well. I
> would recommend it. 4.2 also has the ability for the system-tray to
> "hide inactive icons". Saves some real estate.
>
> I use dual monitors at work and it works well there too. The only
> exception is that each screen has its own background image. So if you
> want one image across both monitors you need to "gimp" it to cut it in
> half and choose the appropriate half for each monitor.
>
> All in all I think it is a positive step for the KDE community. I am
> looking forward to Jaunty.
I too am looking forward to Jaunty. I actually really like the ability
to setup different backgrounds per monitor.
KDE has always been nice for me... except when 4 had just come out. As a
student, home is also my work so KDE really keeps everything nicely. I
like how KDE is pushing forward graphics wise, but there are still some
lacking features.

Thanks for mentioning that System Tray, that is really useful to know,
and I'll definitely have to try the quick launch (A major feature I've
been missing!) Can't wait to see what else is in KDE's future!