[Tfug] Hackintosh vs. Linux

Jim March 1.jim.march at gmail.com
Wed Feb 4 15:19:17 MST 2009

>> Right, and that's true in the Windows world too.  Ask Microsoft about
>> OS support for a Pentium1 with 64megs RAM for example and they'll
>> laugh at you.  Ask "the Linux community" on the other hand and you'll
>> be pointed to Puppy Linux, Damn Small Linux and the like.
>
> Meh, but then what?  What subset of the web, that can be run well on
> that are people going to be happy with?
>
> --
> Tom Rini

Tom, that level hardware is still useful for "utility" purposes like a
custom router.  Hell, it's still OK for word processing.  For the web?
 Mediocre at best.  My point though is that it's still supported in
the FOSS world and NOT supported by Redmond.

But a P3/512meg box is also classed as "free hardware" these days and
THAT can do full-tilt desktop stuff including flash player.

Jim