[Tfug] Hackintosh vs. Linux

Claude Rubinson rubinson at u.arizona.edu
Wed Feb 4 09:45:13 MST 2009

Jim> Makes sense.  However, I think I'm still valid on the idea that
Jim> we can't do anything "professional" via Hackintoshes for the
Jim> reasons stated.

Claude> Certainly true.  But that's also why all proprietary solutions
Claude> are, ultimately, dead ends.  It's in the very nature of the
Claude> beast.

Will> Huh? When I add up the marketshare since the dawn of the
Will> proprietary workstation and home pc, I seem to get a different
Will> result than you. Are you saying that the beast called windows
Will> has fallen??? Add osx in that and what's left on the market?
Will> Jims 10 ubuntu installs? Is this just a rant?

Not talking about marketshare.  Jim proposed that
nursing/maintaining/admining a "Hackintosh" was an exercise in
frustration because Apple, Inc is actively fighting against you.  I
was simply pointing out that that's more-or-less true for all
proprietary solutions.  Without the support of the owner, you're up
the creek without a paddle when you adopt proprietary software.
Proprietary software is ultimately a dead end because it's not a
matter of if the owner will stop supporting you, but when.

Claude