[Tfug] Clean "uninstalls"

Zack Williams zdwzdw at gmail.com
Tue Feb 3 22:25:33 MST 2009

> You probably missed my comment re: "appliances" vs. "desktop
> computers".  :-/

I obviously did!

> Imagine installing one or more "third party apps" on the
> GPS unit in your car.  Now, you decide that app #2 sucks
> (or, perhaps you just want to reclaim the resources that it
> consumes).  Ideally, you want to be able to remove app #2
> in such a way that the resulting system looks like *only*
> apps #1 and #3 were (EVER!) installed -- no remnants of
> app #2 at all.

Ah, like OS X does with application bundles?  Or various non-linux
Unix packaging methods that store the entire installed applications in
one directory, which can be easily removed (I'm thinking the /opt
directory on Solaris specifically)?

Applications that puke stuff all over the system are pretty much a
Windows only travesty, or facilitated by package management tools.

Is it really that hard to programmatically set your $PATH and $LD_LIBRARY_PATH?

- Zack