[Tfug] wimax modem help

Jim March 1.jim.march at gmail.com
Tue Feb 3 19:01:50 MST 2009

I would first thing connect to it and then do lsusb - google based on
the hardware ID number, see if anybody has taken steps to sort it out.

For example, right this second I'm using a Verizon cellmodem, model
KPC680 (Kyocera).  In lsusb I get:

Bus 002 Device 003: ID 0c88:180a Kyocera Wireless Corp.

By googling on the string "0c88:180a" and "linux" I get quite a few
hits.  More specific help if I drop in "ubuntu" instead of "linux".

You might want to try the same thing.

Failing that, the Linux WiMax page cited above says support is built
into the 2.6.29 kernel, now in RC, so you might want to custom compile
that and try it out.

Finally, you could "throw hardware at it": find a device that turns
the WiMax incoming USB wire into standard Ethernet externally from
your computer, or shoves it into a box that turns it into standard
WiFi.  I could buy such a hardware router for my Kyocera cellmodem for
about $200 allowing me to share the cellmodem signal plus turning the
cellmodem into something dead standard.  I used to do this with my
older KPC650 card and a Kyocera KR1 hardware router before cellmodem
support in Linux was solid like it is now.

Jim