[Tfug] Hate to say I told you so..

Andrew Ayre andy at britishideas.com
Tue Feb 3 12:26:36 MST 2009

All three articles appear to reference the same study, performed by Net
Applications. On this page:

http://news.softpedia.com/newsImage/Windows-7-and-Vista-Up-Mac-OS-X-Up-Linux-and-XP-Down-4.jpg

the second article shows a graph, with the credit "Image credits: Net
Applications". As this is linked to the same article Eric referenced and
the image is credited to Net Applications, I would assume this is the
raw data.

I generated my own graph of the Linux column, which you can see here:

http://files.britishideas.com/public/tfug/linuxusage.jpg

I'm not sure what conclusion I would draw from that data. I don't think
I would claim a decline, unless I was only comparing the latest data
with the previous month.

Andy

Eric Gearhart wrote:
> On Tue, Feb 3, 2009 at 11:22 AM, Andrew Ayre <andy at britishideas.com> wrote:
>> Eric,
>>
>> Can you please post your source(s) for the statistics that show the drop in
>> Linux desktop usage? I would like to learn more about it, including the
>> methodology used.
>>
>> thanks, Andy
>
> Sure... there are a couple of tech news sites that are covering it...
> I think I read it first at OSnews:
>
> http://www.osnews.com/thread?346770
> http://news.softpedia.com/news/Windows-7-and-Vista-Up-Mac-OS-X-Up-Linux-and-XP-Down-103514.shtml
> http://www.informationweek.com/news/hardware/mac/showArticle.jhtml?articleID=213000498&subSection=All+Stories