[Tfug] experience

C. Burch mxfreak at cox.net
Sat Feb 7 19:16:36 MST 2009

Greetings all,

I've lurked on the list for a while now without posting so let me introduce
myself a little before I get to my questions.  My name is Christopher Burch
and I currently work as an avionics technician on Davis-Monthan while also
providing computer support for users in my unit.  I am going to school for a
degree in network security and I would like to acquire some operational
experience in the IT world.  The list seems like a good place to ask this
question since it appears most of you work in or around an IT environment
and would be in the know.

Now to my questions, aside from having multiple versions of *nix installed
around the house, what or where would you recommend I look to acquire some
formal experience?  My current experience, in addition to work, includes
administering a web server for a school project running CentOS 5, a personal
web server running Slackware 11, dual booting Windows 7 and Kubuntu 8.10 on
my laptop, and dual booting Vista x64 and  Slackware 12.2 on my desktop.  Is
this enough to count as experience when applying for an IT position or
should I look for more formal venues like volunteer/internship positions
down town?  If so, where is the best place to find out about said positions?

Thank you in advance to everyone that takes the time to chime in on this.

Cheers,

Chris