[Tfug] linux to windows web host - SOLUTION

Nathan England nathan at paysonlinux.org
Wed Dec 30 11:58:18 MST 2009

On Tuesday 29 December 2009 14:42:43 you wrote:
> Nathan England wrote:
> > Hello Hello,
> >
> > I have a large (150k+ lines) web application I've developed for internal
> > use in a non-profit. I currently run it on a linux distro developed and
> > maintained by myself specifically for my web applications and several
> > other things. My current employer is not very linooks friendly and wants
> > it running on a windows server 2003 machine. Currently, I utilize apache,
> > php, perl, openldap, mysql, maybe some others and all the libraries
> > needed for php-ldap, php-mysql and ... you get the idea. All the
> > wonderful stuff us linux guys take for granted.
> >
> > So, I'm wondering. The rationale behind moving it to a windows system is
> > simply for backup purposes, so they say, regardless, I'm the employee so
> > I need to make this happen.
> >
> > Should I ... ?
> >
> > (A) install VirtualBox on this machine, load my linux and everything else
> > onto that and go to town...
> >
> > (B) install cygwin and everything I need in that and fix anything that
> > gets borked....
> >
> > (C) Install apache, mysql, perl, php and others? in windows natively and
> > hope for the best...
> >
> > I would like opinions as well as any useful info you might be
> > able/willing to contribute!
> >
> > Nathan

After two days of wasted development time, we have decided it will stay a
linux box. We have yet to decide if it will stay on a physical server or be
moved to a virtual machine, but either will be acceptable. Currently this is
running on a junk machine and needs to be put on something stable, that is the
urgency for the push. Thanks for all the thoughts and insights.

nathan