[Tfug] linux to windows web host

Claude Rubinson rubinson at u.arizona.edu
Tue Dec 29 19:02:04 MST 2009

On Tue, Dec 29, 2009 at 06:35:51PM -0700, Glen Pfeiffer wrote:
> > (B) install cygwin and everything I need in that and fix
> > anything that gets borked....
>
> I've heard of guys doing things like this, but I normally avoid
> it. Having another layer of things that can go wrong just makes
> my skin crawl. But, that is more of an emotional response, not a
> technical one. So in practice it may be a viable solution, but I
> do not have much experience in this area.

Not addressing the original question but simply responding to Glen's
comment: I've used cygwin for a few different things over the years
(mostly client-side stuff, but some services hosting) and it works
really, really well.  It doesn't feel like you've added another layer
on top of Windows; rather, it's just that all of a sudden you have a
real operating system.  Frankly, the most troublesome thing is simply
making sure that you've got your paths set up correctly (so that Unix
can access your Windows files and vice versa).

Claude