[Tfug] RDP

Jeff Breadner jeff at breadner.ca
Tue Dec 29 13:47:26 MST 2009

Bexley Hall wrote:
> Hmmm... no "Remote" tab under Control Panel | System.  Are
> you sure that applies to W2KS and not just XP (or, possibly
> W2K3?)
>
> However, Control Panel | Administrative Tools | Terminal
> Services Configuration has settings that appear to pertain
> to RDP.  And, C P | Admin Tool | Terminal Services Manager
> shows RDP-Tcp enabled ("listening") on this machine.

Sorry about that, those instructions were for W2k3, I didn't check my
reference machine closely enough.

There's two flavors of terminal services, the full-blown one you need
special licensing for, but every Server edition should allow up to two
remote desktop sessions for 'remote administration' purposes.  I think
in W2k you can enable this by just having some of the terminal services
software installed, Add / Remove Programs >  Add / remove windows
components > Terminal Services > Enable Terminal Services (leave "Client
Creator Tools" unchecked).

If / when this is installed, go to Control Panel > Administrative Tools
 > Terminal Services Configuration > Server Settings, ensure Terminal
server mode is "Remote Administration".

Given what you describe though, with ports in listening mode, this is
likely already done.  Can you telnet to TCP/3389 from another machine on
the network and connect to that port?  If the ports are already
listening then this devolves into a firewall / networking issue.
> Yes, but i would want to be setting up the server end (xrdp?)
> on the NetBSD box (i.e., to use these appliances as clients)

I responded initially because I thought this was a question about
running an RDP client on Linux/UNIX, which I do all the time; I'm
completely unfamiliar with xrdp, but it sounds like it's the way for you
to proceed.  I'll play around with it when I get some time, it sounds
interesting.

cheers
  Jeff