[Tfug] Audio client

Steve Franks bahamasfranks at gmail.com
Mon Dec 28 12:50:21 MST 2009

On Fri, Dec 25, 2009 at 2:21 PM, Bexley Hall <bexley401 at yahoo.com> wrote:
> Seasoned Greetings,
>
> OK, I have just about finalized my hardware design for
> these little "audio clients".  I'd appreciate any comments
> folks might have (esp folks who own things like Audiotrons).
>
> - 10/100 interface
> - ~64KB RAM
> - ~128KB Flash
> - dual 24 bit D/AC's
> - ~10W stereo amplifier (1x10 or 2x5)
> - PoE
> - "line out" at the expense of amplified output

Gimme a yell if you need any help on the HW side.  Will trade
knowledge for blank PCB's...if the drivers will build on FreeBSD;
might be a good argument for *not* making it a driver-based
implementation.  An interesting alternative (which would be pricier,
no doubt) would be to go the WAP54-L route, and have an embedded linux
SBC that serves it's config page out port 80, and you basically just
point it at a streaming server, which may or may not be your home
computer...you could easily connect a usb-audio chip from the embedded
cpu to the D/A's.  So, obviously, I'm afraid of software... and no
doubt all the WAP hacks for mp3 players make this idea a bit
redundant, but just throwing it out there...

Steve