[Tfug] Switches -- and hubs!

Bexley Hall bexley401 at yahoo.com
Thu Dec 24 12:36:38 MST 2009

> >> Geographic constraints.  Mostly a hill.
> >
> > Why not fibre?  I would have been wary of copper over
> > such a long *outdoor* span?  (can you spell "lightning"?)
>
> I've seen some nasty ground loops from using copper over a
> long distance.

Yup.  Though transformer couplling *signal* can be a win
since you get big common mode rejection.

> According to one of my TV engineer buddies, in the late
> 90's at McKale
> Center you could measure a 9v differential between it's
> electrical
> wiring ground and the shield on the triax camera cable.

Yes, this is easy to do -- even over short hauls.

I would be more concerned over lightning, though -- as you
have now given it a "direct path" into your electronics
(whereas common mode problems just cause things not to work
and/or toast an interface card)