[Tfug] gparted problem

earljviolet at deserthowler.com earljviolet at deserthowler.com
Tue Dec 22 14:22:27 MST 2009

Hi, Don,

On Tue, December 22, 2009 12:06 pm, Bexley Hall wrote:
> Hi Earl,

>> > Is this *physically* how the partitions are laid out?
>> > I.e., are you sure that the first sector of sda2 is
>> > "physically" adjacent to the last sector in sda5
>>
>> Shorter answer ... Yes.
>>
>> Long answer ... Yes, because:
>> sda1 sectors 63-417869
>
> sda1 ends *inside* sda4/5??
typo  :(

>> sda4 sectors 417690-39070079
>> sda5 sectors 417753-39070079
>
> why does sda4 encompass sda5?
sda4 is extended and sda5 is logical in the extended
>> unallocated sectors 39070080-73882934
>
> These are (were) sda2?
At one time, yes.

>> sda3 sectors 73882435-73882934

> Why "of course"?  (recall, I don't run any of your distros  :-/ )
This is kind of a X86 thing I guess.  It's the same in Windows but the
notation is different.  Only will recognize 4 primary partitions or 3
primary and an extended which is can have a bunch of partitions.

> Ah, because sda4 constrains sda5 (?)

Yes.  But with the most recent gparted I was able to expand sda4 into the
empty space and then expand sda5 to fill it.  I think it was Mandriva that
insisted on making the extended partition.

I now have sda1 (boot), sda4 (extended), sda5 (9.10), and sda3 (swap).  It
works just fine.

Earl