[Tfug] Yet another optics question

johngalt1 johngalt1 at uswest.net
Mon Dec 21 20:06:36 MST 2009

With my totally unqualified opinion, I would go with what
the guy in the climate change business, (ostensibly) said...

Just go with the 1460X six volt lamp as B&L designed. It's
really common and easy to get by mail order. Its color
characteristics are probably consistent. Kind of looks like
an automotive lamp base with a flange...

Having said that, the lens assembly is probably like that of
a photo enlarger condenser. As I understand it, it takes a
point source and gives light focused at infinity. Good as an
illuminator.

If you wanted to play around have money to blow you could
get a cheap high power LED emitter from a place like Deal
Extreme. Place it at the focus where the lamp filament is.
Give it an appropriate heat sink. The microscope power
supply might work too.

Have fun!