[Tfug] Yet another optics question

Jim Secan jim at nwra.com
Mon Dec 21 17:32:43 MST 2009

Looking at the manual you reference, the first thing to note is that the
figure appears to be miss-labeled.  I believe that #12 is the lens mount
assembly, #13 is Lens B, and #14 is the retainer for Lens B.  That said, I
don't see evidence in this picture that there's anything but air between
the two lenses indicated in the drawing.  What do you mean by "light pipe"
between the two - is there something you can see in your hardware that's
not shown on the manual's figure?

How difficult would it be to experiment with the setup?  Pull off the full
lens assembly and try focusing one or more LEDs and see what you get.

Another, non-optics, issue would be the spectrum of the light.  The lamp
is going to give off a different spectrum than the LEDs (unless you
carefully match them), which may make things look different under your
'scope.  I think you're safest in biting the proverbial bullet and buying
light bulbs for the future.

And Merry Christmas/whatever to the list from Microsoftville.

Jim