[Tfug] fail to read cdrom in ubuntu

Claude Rubinson rubinson at u.arizona.edu
Wed Dec 16 17:30:18 MST 2009

On Wed, Dec 16, 2009 at 05:05:27PM -0700, Steve Franks wrote:
> On Wed, Dec 16, 2009 at 2:37 PM, Claude Rubinson <rubinson at u.arizona.edu> wrote:
> > I wish that HAL, D-BUS, and the rest of the family had been strangled
> > in the crib.
>
> No joke.  I almost bust a vein when X started relying on them for
> mouse & keyb.  Lost 4 out of five systems that week, and had to boot
> up win32 to google a fix.  Serves me right for following the bleeding
> edge...

I actually think that it makes sense for X not to provide its own
mouse and keyboard drivers and have the operating system abstract out
those things (http://wiki.debian.org/XStrikeForce/InputHotplugGuide
and some related Planet Debian posts convinced me of this).  It's just
that these systems are so incredibly unpleasant.  Auto-config doesn't
have to be difficult to override (as previous releases of Xorg have
taught us).  I assume that there's a special place in hell reserved
for the HAL people, who are using XML config files.

If systems are crashing on you because of the transition, whoever's
handing the transition should be strung up.  For my handful of
machines, the Debian transition has been pretty painless--but I've got
really simple configs on these boxes.

Claude