[Tfug] fail to read cdrom in ubuntu

The Monkey Moo themonkeymoo at gmail.com
Wed Dec 16 16:49:06 MST 2009

On Sun, 2009-12-13 at 11:56 -0700, earljviolet at deserthowler.com wrote:

snip

> Another source of the problem MIGHT be upgrading to 9.10.  I did this on
> my machine at work and lost sound.  As World Care is shut down until after
> January 1, I won't be able to check further until then.  I will probably
> do a fresh install then.
>
> Earl

The dist-upgrade to Ubuntu 9.10 broke all acpi functions on my Toshiba
Satellite x205 (which included some sound functionality and all
non-standard keys--fn+ keys, volume knob, etc...). A fresh install had
the same problem.

I had to recompile my kernel with a patch and a non-standard module
(omnibook--which has since been included in ubuntu by default, I think)
to get things working properly, but none of the subsequent kernel
updates have since broken it again.

The same problem was reported on various other laptop makes/models;
notably Compaq/HP and of course, Omnibook.

I can't find the specific patch I used (I'm fairly certain it was on
launchpad, but launchpad claims to be having issues atm), but it had to
do with erroneous return from suspend messages for a non-existent
docking station. Applying the patch using the "patch" command failed due
(I think) to incorrect line numbering in the patch file itself, but the
error in line number was small (a dozen or 2 lines further down) so it
was easy to find the appropriate place in the source file to manually
insert the lines, starting from the listed line number.

It took several days to find information about the real problem, as the
vast majority of such complaints I found were from people running Ubuntu
virtualized inside windows via wubi. If I am able to find the patch,
I'll post a link.

With the patch, the omnibook module may not be actually necessary (I
already had omnibook installed), but I did not remove it to test this
possibility.