[Tfug] fail to read cdrom in ubuntu

JD Rogers rogersjd at gmail.com
Wed Dec 16 16:04:48 MST 2009

> You're right.  Mine issue is pretty straightforward in that it seems
> that some daemon thinks it knows better than me how to label my
> hardware.  The fact that you can mount DVDs but not CDs is especially
> perplexing.  That's why I was wondering if it might be a mangled
> symlink somewhere.

>From what little I know, the 'proper' way to fix this may be to set a
udev.rules somewhere for that drive.

> I'm assuming that from the /dev/sr0 nomenclature, you've got a scsi
> drive?  Any chance that a kernel module didn't make it through the
> Ubuntu upgrade?

No, it's IDE, but the trend has been to move all that stuff to scsi
emulation from what I understand. Pretty much no such things as hd* on
a modern system. I'm pretty convinced that the problem is that the new
scsi emulation drivers are broken. I was hoping to prove this (and
file a bug report) by booting an old kernel that used the old ide
driver and show that it works. Unfortunatly, I can't boot an old
kernel because so much with udev and whatever else has changed that
booting an old kernel fails with no root filesystem on the sata
drives.Gah. SO about all I can do is try rolling my own kernel using
IDE drivers for the cdrom, but I haven't had time to try this yet.

If anyone else has something simpler to try, I'm all ears.

Thanks,
JDR