[Tfug] OT: easily reloaded windows machine

Eric Gearhart eric at nixwizard.net
Sun Dec 13 15:58:52 MST 2009

On Fri, Dec 11, 2009 at 6:58 PM, Bexley Hall <bexley401 at yahoo.com> wrote:

> I was tickled to see how well it worked!  A bit disheartened
> that it really could be intimidating for The Clueless to use
> but, I think with a good set of "accompanying notes", it could
> work for the folks I have in mind (I have the advantage of
> having the hardware that they will use at my disposal so I
> can document *exactly* what things should look like instead of
> simply The General Case).
>
> I'll try it on one of my NetBSD boxen and then a Slowaris box
> just to see how versatile it really is.

Cool! Glad to see it worked. Clonezilla makes use of PartImage,
ntfsclone and partclone (or dd at the very worst case) to actually "do
the lifting" and image the partitions, so you could try to see if
PartImage or partclone support NetBSD/Solaris first (total stab in the
dark here: are they UFS based?)

Worst case Clonezilla can just use dd, but that's terribly inefficient
because all the bits are copied over, including empty space. At least
PartImage and ntfsclone are smart enough to note the free space and
not just blindly image

--
Eric