[Tfug] Slightly OT crypto question (WiFi/WPA)

Zack Williams zdwzdw at gmail.com
Sun Dec 13 13:11:50 MST 2009

> Throw enough MIPS at it, it'll break.

There's a cost/benefit involved here - often it would be cheaper to
break into your house/office and steal the data or plant a backdoor of
software/hardware into your system than to buy all those cycles.

> In other words, phrases of that sort that contain dictionary words, but are
> not themselves in any possible dictionary.

Probably better than most.  Random is probably not a whole lot better
than some of the memorable generators - I use the Apple keychain one
which generates in the form of "firstword1234!secondword" (two
dictionary words with numbers/symbols between them).

If you really want security, either do the WiFi + VPN approach, or
look into WPA's  enterprise variants, which secures each connection
with it's own keys.  Both are easy enough to set up an AD or OD based
system.

- Zack