[Tfug] Slightly OT crypto question (WiFi/WPA)

Jim March 1.jim.march at gmail.com
Sun Dec 13 09:51:19 MST 2009

Folks,

We all set up and run WiFi routers once in a while so this only slightly
off-topic.

Dictionary attacks against WPA security are on the rise.  The latest trend:

http://news.techworld.com/security/3208347/new-cloud-hacking-service-steals-wi-fi-passwords

Throw enough MIPS at it, it'll break.

At this point, it still appears unlikely something like
"5435GDS5YHFHJF37GFBA" will fall any time soon.  While "thesaurus" is meat
for the beast.  My question is, what about:

ithinktucsonreallysucks

?

In other words, phrases of that sort that contain dictionary words, but are
not themselves in any possible dictionary.

How secure are they as compared to really randomized passwords?

Thanks,

Jim