[Tfug] Laptop freezes and shuts down

Linux Media linuxmedia2 at aim.com
Wed Dec 9 20:10:44 MST 2009

Hi,

My laptop started freezing up (frozen mouse, frozen keys, no response
whatsoever) and on occasions would just reboot (no shutdown proceedure,
just suddenly blank screen and reboot).

I once thought it was the wireless card because there were internet
connection problems at the same time, but that went away. Then it seemed
to correlate with plugging something in (or just moving) the PCMCIA
sound card. Then it seems to correlate with hitting a key a bit hard.
Maybe it is a hardware problem. The only time I ever had this kind of
problem with any Linux System was when there was a faulty sound card.

Some times when I reboot (have to hold on/off button until the laptop
shuts off), it wont start back up. And it fails anywhere from prior to
the BIOS screen, to sometimes in mid boot, and even at times at the log
in screen and sometimes right after the desktop starts up.

The following link shows the screen shots. I've only seen it fail at
this point twice. Could anyone tell me if this gives them a clue what it
going on?

Link to screen shots:
http://members.cox.net/ryannotti/

Thanks,